Naked Science (Gosh why are my titles always about nudity?)

Today I shall dedicate a post to science. This includes my own personal social science studies in female showers.
But first, the good old boring biology that I spend my days with. For the past ten weeks I have been growing mesenspheres. These are balls of mesenchymal cells that I isolate from mouse bones. Yes, a mouse has to die in order for this to happen. But in a way, only like 99% of the animal die. The bone marrow cells live on. Isn’t that nice? Almost poetic? So anyway, I keep these lovely beauties in tiny petri dishes, arranged in a flower shape. And I take lots of photos of them because they are just so cute. In addition to these balls I also have some pet leukaemia cells. These are not so beautiful, just round dots in a large dish. So I don’t have a photo of them. (Ich habe heute leider kein Foto fuer dich.) The other day, as I was carrying them around (like you walk your pet dog, they need activity otherwise they get bored. #banter) I passed a window and saw a beautiful rainbow. Their first rainbow. How wonderful. You must think I’m on drugs. And indeed, I am. Coffee Rushhhh. Coffee is a drug. So is alcohol. And sugar. And omg life is deadly. Also it is 4 a.m. and I am bored to death at Stansted Airport. This is what you get for booking a Sunday flight without thinking about the Sunday train schedule. Thus I took the bus from Cambridge at 3 a.m. Obviously I did not sleep. Mario Kart Double Dash filled the last hour before my departure. Can I just say that I really hate that the computer players can just demolish you simply by virtue of getting much better items? It’s a disgrace, really.  But anyway let me briefly explain what I do with my cells. Put in a most basic way (for all those basic bitches out there. Take the test:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/chelseamarshall/how-basic-are-you#.nv0E572bK ) I let the two meet in a small plate and see how they react, as very little is known about the interactions between mesenchymal stromal cells and leukaemic cells. Our suspicion is that indeed the normal cells “help” the leukaemia. Knowledge about the type of support would open up doors for new therapies. Yes, I’m having fun. And preliminary results look rather exciting. Even at 4 a.m. the data looks handsome. Especially because I draw all my graphs in pink. And the other day I used the Star Wars font for the title. And I nearly came.
Aren't they beautiful?
Naked people in showers on the other hand, are much harder to find in this country than leukaemia cells or mesenspheres. In fact, they seem to not exist at all. Let me expand. In Switzerland or Germany, girls shower together in one large shower room. (Yeah I know I have changed topic pretty suddenly.) And they take off their bathing suits, so they can properly wash their bodies. But if you do this in the UK  (As my German friend and I have had to experience recently), such activities will evoke shock and horror in your female co-showerers as expressed by their horrified looks, intense whispering and staring. Have you never seen a naked girl? And also, don’t you want to be clean? And also doesn’t shampoo destroy the fabric of your costume? Please, explain. All my mesenspheres are naked. So are my leukaemia cells. You can learn from them. Also, another thing you can learn right now is: Do not attempt to make gluten-free pizza dough. Your pizza will look great.  But it won’t taste nice. Below you can admire the creation of a wonderful gluten-free pizza with fondue-cheese stuffed crust. Sounds tasty? Yeah, I know, we thought so, too. But sadly we could only eat the topping. And we left the dough behind naked. Gosh there is a lot of nudity in this post for 4 a.m. Wait, that’s a lie. It’s 6:30 now. Time to board my plane and fly to the land of naked showers. Have a great day everyone.

Do not try this at home.
Really. Don't. But if you must, this is how to do it.









Kommentare