Life is like a box of chocolates - half eaten by your boyfriend

My boyfriend must really love me. The other day he had a box of chocolates but he only ate half of each and kept the other half for me so I could try them too.


Thank you, darling.



Other times this man can drive me nuts, for example when he has a go at me for being lazy. He literally gets up at 6 am on a Sunday and makes me feel shit because I stay in bed longer. 
Until 7. 
He calls that lazy.
That was a little intro into a post about all things domestic – cooking, baking, boyfriends and obviously Star Wars. 
So speaking of lazy, the other day, in Switzerland, I was rather the opposite as I met up with one of my oldest (as in we went to primary school together, she’s actually two months younger than me) friends to make the beautiful thing that is Torrone. Now, the traditional method actually requires you to stir manually for at least 1.5 h. The modern, short version is around 15 min. I would say the choice is obvious. So there I stand, stirring, stirring, and stirring. Interestingly, this friend of mine is British but lives in Switzerland while I obviously live in Britain. So here comes my friend’s rather remarkable statement, which wins at least the prize for quote of the month: “See, the Polish always work for the British, even in Switzerland”. The Torrone was delish by the way.
Speaking of old friends I have noticed that I myself am getting older and most definitely more organized and mature. For example. Before leaving to Switzerland for 5 days I froze down all my leftover herbs in an ice tray. I will be able to use them for curries, stews, pies and the sort. In fact, I used two cubes in my chicken, sweet potato, cauliflower curry just last night. Added bonus: My herbs are now Star Wars shaped. Yes, definitely more mature than ever.

I am your curry.
Before the same trip I also used up all my leftover bacon, cheese, cream and eggs to create a lovely “leftover quiche”. Honestly though, it’s simply the perfect meal for leftovers. I can think of around 1000 combinations of stuff for quiches. Like, broccoli and salmon, dried tomato and goats cheese, asparagus and bacon, bacon onion and blue cheese, spinach goats cheese and pine nut, chorizo, pepper and manchego, butternut squash, feta and walnut. Ok I’m getting too hungry now. Of course you need to make your own pastry, otherwise you will burn in hell. My go-to recipe is 225g flour and 100g butter, then add cold water until you have a soft dough. Don’t dare to serve me shop-bought pastry. I will taste the difference if you’ve been basic. (I hope everyone got the Sainsbury’s reference here. Cora’s finest.)
In terms of food I need to share the latest of George and my adventures with Gluten free cuisine: Gluten free crumpets. We had ordered the fancy thing that is Xanthan Gum (don’t ask) and, following the recipe to the gram, produced a batter that was remarkably runny. We thus decided to bet on whether it was going to rise. (Yes, our relationship is very exciting.) I won a 20min massage because it did not. We then proceeded to filling various metal utensils with the batter on a heavily buttered frying pan. Let’s say the crumpets were black on the outside and raw on the inside, with no visible holes in sight. I must say, I am tempted to give up on this gluten free bakery business.

yet another gluten free fail


Last but not least, let me share this shocking picture I took at Aldi a couple of weeks ago. Here it is. I don’t think it needs more words.

ohne Worte.

Kommentare