Thesis diary part III

Day 16
I wake up feeling very down. Luckily swimming lifts my mood. I go to the lab and do various things including some coding, a chalk talk and some immunohistochemistry. I don’t write anything but I try to feel calm. Prosecco in the evening helps. I attend an event by the guilty feminist with my lovely FSIL (future sister in law). The event is very fun but It goes on a bit longer than I had anticipated. The prospect of less than 8h of sleep and a suboptimally functioning brain makes me anxious but luckily I fall asleep very quickly.

Day 17
I wake up and I’m tired and hence upset. But I drag myself to the pool and it has the effect I was hoping for: I feel happy. I then go to the lab, finish some stainings, attend an R course and then hop on a train up North. That’s right. I’m going to spend some days at my FPILs’ (future parents in law) house – as mentioned before, I call this a “writing retreat”. My FFIL (I think I can stop explaining these abbreviations now…) picks me up from the station and we drive to Barnard Castle. After a brief walk we sit down at the restaurant with Gin&Tonics. Oh yes. My FMIL and FGMIL then join (I can tell you are enjoying this) and we have a lovely meal accompanied by lovely wine, of which I “have” to drink quite a lot as they are driving. Good times.

Day 18
It’s a Saturday but this time I want to work, after all that’s what I’m here for (and of course to spend quality time with my FPILs) (They might be reading this so I had to say that lol). So I spend most of my day being remarkably productive. By the end of it most of chapter 3 is at least drafted. Figures are in production. It’s a good writing day, finally! The day is rounded off by a walk around the reservoir and watching EUROVISION SONG CONTEST. A short summary of my opinion on the various acts:
Slovenia.you.are.creepy
Iceland.was.that.necessary.
Well.done.Switzerland.
Australia.Looked.Like.Dementors.Also.You.Are.not.in.Europe.
Why.Are.All.These.Non-euroean.Countries.Participating.Anyway.
Madonna.I don’t know. Just somehow off.
Netherlands.Distinctly.boring.Can’t.believe.that.won.
Don’t.ask.why.I’m.adding.full.stops.but.it.adds.gravity.

Day 19
Sunday = Funday! I wake up super late (9:00), and do some solid work in the morning before we sit down for a delicious Sunday lunch with the farmer from next door. It is followed by an equally tasty dessert. To fight food coma, I have coffee and go for a walk around the reservoir (in the other direction this time. We know how to have fun.) with my FMIL. In the afternoon work is a bit slow. I manage to make a figure but am not very happy with it. The first results chapter is now nearly ready for inspection by my boss! 

Day 20
I enter the zone. 
8:30-12:30 writing in the morning. (quick walk/seeing the hens break half way)
Walk around the quarry after lunch
15:30-dinnertime work
Fondue for dinner followed by Jass, the Swiss national card game.
Not sure Jass is popular with the FPILs.

Day 21
In the zone.
Variables:
Afternoon walk with destination viaduct.
After-dinner Jass met with more enthusiasm today. 

Day 22
Zone.
Variables: 
Afternoon walk up to Kirkkarrion and a former lead mine, very fascinating
After-dinner Jass very much entertaining. Followed by Oh Hell. Accompanied by a variety of drinks as it’s my last night up here.

Day 23
I’m leaving West Pasture today and am quite sad about it. I had a wonderful time up here and am emerging with a full results chapter written including figures, another one half done, some progress on the introduction and a generally more balanced state of mind. 
On the train I do some coding in R (really trying to improve my skills in the area of programming). In the afternoon I pop into the lab to fill a few gaps in my materials and methods and take a few pictures for better figures. In the evening I am finally reunited with my fiancé. 

Day 24
I go to lab and after a fight with my network connection manage to print my first chapter to give to my boss for inspection. My adrenaline goes through the roof. And my mood plummets as I notice he spends a loooooooooong time reading it. Not a good sign. I pop my head into his office before heading home and get a “it’s not ALL bad”. I spend my evening over-analysing that statement, unable to focus on the lovely BBQ we are having. 

Day 25 
I discuss the infamous thesis chapter with my boss. Turns out he just wants a casual COMPLETE RESTRUCTURING. I mildly freak out, spend the rest of the day helping our rotation student and going mental.  When I get home I immediately start working on a tricky figure my boss asked for. I don’t stop until late at night and then don’t really manage to sleep at all. What is this life.  

Kommentare