We shall ride the tube naked with a cheesy brioche bun

One of the perks of living in Cambridge is the fact that Central London with its endless entertainment is, with a young person’s railcard, only around 15 or less pounds away. And while as an undergraduate reaching the railway station for a day or two in the British capital was impeded by essay deadlines, Saturday lectures and hangovers (mainly the first two, OBVIOUSLY), I have the strong feeling that graduate life will indeed include frequent visits. In this post I will share some of my recent experiences in this city with more inhabitants than my entire country of origin. 
My first thoughts go to the Tate Modern. I cannot wait for the new one. But meanwhile I contended myself with “The World Goes Pop”, an exhibition about the movement of pop art during the 1960s and 70s. I don’t really want to say much about the exhibition apart that it was colourful and bright. Rather, I need to say something about modern art. A lot of modern art severely pisses me off. I will have to be very strong in my choice of words here because indeed my soul is bleeding at the sight of some of what we are nowadays forced (by the media, by hipsters, by the people who call themselves experts) to call art. A naked woman riding a tram is not art. A woman laying eggs is not art. (For the ones too busy (and probably doing well in being so) to read about annoying pseudo-artists, I’m talking about Milo Moiré here. Google her. Or don’t. But if you get irritated, I’ve warned you)

Yes. This is art, too.
Anyway. I know you are trying to tell me that it is about the idea, rather than the skill, the production of something intricate and technically challenging. But for me, that would mean that everything is art. In fact, drunk people usually have the most incredible ideas. A friend of mine recently compared a collapsing failed cake to Antarctica. Maybe she should have sold the cake for millions, marketing it as an abstract representation of global warming. But in our stupid drunken state we simply ate that precious piece of art. How silly of us. My point is. I’m upset because if everything is art, if there is no more skill involved, if you can sell a used tampon as art, then art is dead. And that is sad. I bought a print of van Gogh’s sunflowers for my new college room. I just think that is much more appealing than an egg-laying woman. But maybe I’m just ignorant. I’m very open to being converted, let’s chat over a pint or two. In fact, maybe we should do it naked, cover ourselves in eggs and flower, sprinkle a few used nappies on top and ask people to pay to see us. Yes.
I’ve just realised that instead of praising London, I’ve let out steam about eggs and used hygiene products. I apologise. Let me lose just a few final words on my recent London experience then. The Olympic pool is simply my favourite place to swim at in the world. The ones who used to read my old blog have heard this a few too many times. And I’m afraid it will continue. Such is life. (The MIT pool is amazing too, made me cry, but that’s a different story). The impressionist section in the National Gallery is just fantastic. So much love. And today at the Victoria and Albert Museum we could wear oversized coats made of a rather freaky material and embellished with an interesting sketch of a face on the back and wander around the museum with a funky map, chasing after 10 sculptures of coats. Some people asked us whether we were part of the installation. Of course we are!

Last but not least I discovered the most wonderfully mouldy-looking pungent French cheese at Whole Foods today. Tomme crayeuse. Even the name is mouth-watering. My connection to cheese could almost be described as erotic. The smell. The taste. The texture. You know what is just about the best snack on earth? A brioche bun, butter, Brie and apricot jam (Gosh I wish the word apricot began with a “b”. Why is life so unfair?). Foodgasm. Maybe I should quit my PhD and become a cheese artist. Ride the tube naked with a cheesy brioche bun on each breast. God bless modern art.

Kommentare