Thesis diary part V

Day 34
Feeling slightly better I manage to do a fair amount of writing. Maybe I CAN do this after all? In the afternoon we play some card games which makes me happy. 

Day 35
Finally back to feeling normal. I work from home today, mostly reading papers I should have read about a year ago. Progress is slow but I do feel productive. 

Day 36
In the morning I attend a course which turns out to be fairly useless. However, it gives me quality time to bounce ideas around with our rotation student and we develop a bunch of good ideas (i think), which makes me happy. In the afternoon I deal with a bunch of stuff in the lab, no writing but it’s all towards the thesis.

Day 37
Lab meeting, various other meetings etc mean I don’t get much done but I get my LAST batch of data for the thesis and start analysing it which is very fun. I do love a bit of coding. The evening is fun because we play games with my FSIL and her husband and it’s very chilled.

Day 38
Today is Wellcome Trust presentation day which means we are tasked to “present the major findings of your PhD”. I did not prepare much because I was so preoccupied with my thesis and so my talk is mediocre. Luckily people still think it’s ok. In the evening we have a formal dinner with everyone from the programme. There’s plenty of wine and fun chat and we continue the night with more drinks at Catz bar. It’s an excellent time.

Day 39
Severely.Hung.Over.Alcohol.Is.My.Enemy. The morning does not go very well, I do a bit of work on the sofa wrapped in a blanked feeling sorry for myself. In the afternoon I move to Hot Numbers (so hipster I can’t) to work with my friend. I actually am quite productive and nearly finish the first draft of my introduction, can you believe it? In the evening I reward myself with arts and crafts and an episode of ‘Love Island’. 

Day 40
How has it already been 40 days? Anyway let’s not get too stressed. In the morning I cycle to lab to get a bunch of data from a server I failed to access from home. After analysis I send it to our collaborators to discover that they are on holiday for 2 weeks. Oh well. I spend another few hours polishing my introduction until a dear undergrad friend pops over from London. We go for a long and rather nostalgic walk through the city center, enjoy sugary cocktails at 196 followed by an abundance of Swiss fondue, Ligretto and an episode of “Chernobyl” (which I highly recommend! We’ll definitely be watching the whole series). Bliss.

Day 41
We start the day with an extravagant brunch including all the millennial trimmings such as avocado, poached eggs and small-batch roasted coffee. (all home-cooked/brewed I should say!). After an intense round of Ligretto (I LOVE this game) my friend and his partner depart. I proceed to a little thesis-stress-related cry followed by a few solid hours of work on chapter 4. In the evening we go to a pub quiz. I would say we do ok but obviously we don’t rank anywhere near the top. And I majorly screw up the “killer” round by answering “smoked breakfast fish” with “Rollmops”. When that is obviously pickled not smoked. Argh.

Day 42 
I start the day with the usual Monday morning swim with corpus and swim a few solid fast 100s free yay. I then work solidly from home including a very motivating call with my collaborator in Glasgow. In the evening the German girls and I practice hair and makeup for the upcoming May ball which is rather fun but also clipping in human hair to get more volume just freaks me out. Like. That stuff was once on someone’s head how weird?? Looks good though haha Also we rewatch some of those Tourette syndrome videos. They just don’t get old. KATZENFLEISCH.

Day 43
I’ve got a doctor’s appointment in the morning and then go get a few last essentials for the May Ball such as open-toe tights and make up fixation spray. ESSENTIALS I know. #firstworld. In the afternoon I work at a local café with my friend and we are really very productive. After dinner my fiancé and I play scrabble. I lose but I still enjoy it a lot.

Kommentare